Monkey Mei Tai standard carriers are made from hard-wearing strap fabrics and decorative panel fabrics.
They feature a heavy-duty inner layer which allows complete freedom of choice for the panel fabrics. Most customers choose a patterned cotton outer panel with a snuggly-soft plush lining, but there is nothing to stop you using curtain fabric, silk, patchwork, even a favourite T-shirt! You can also choose your strap fabric to coordinate perfectly with the panels.
Standard Carriers start at £94.99 which includes standard black cotton drill straps, any fabric from Frumble priced £9.99/m or below and one of four standard smooth plush linings. For more information on the different fabrics we have available, including multiple colour swatches, please see below.
Our standard carriers include 3 areas where the fabric can be personalised: the straps, the outer panel, and the inner panel.
There is a large range of standard fabrics, which are included in the base price of your carrier, however you can upgrade your carrier to a deluxe fabric for a surcharge.
Any fabric from Frumble priced £9.99/m or below is included in the base cost of your Standard Carrier. You can, however, upgrade to a deluxe fabric if you wish.
Included in the base cost of your standard carrier is an inner panel of plush fabric in one of four colours. You can, however, upgrade to a deluxe fabric if you wish.
Included in the base price of your standard carrier is sturdy cotton drill fabric for the shoulder and waist straps (or waistband if you are choosing a half buckle waist). You can, however, upgrade to a deluxe strap fabric if you wish.
You are, of course, welcome to send your own panel fabric, or we can order in a different fabric for you (we will cover the first £9.99/m of any fabric chosen); you can choose to have cotton fabric on both sides of your carrier (making it truly reversible), or even a panel of wrap fabric. Straps can be made from almost any colour – cotton or corduroy – and the plush lining fabric can feature dimples, embossed patterns, come in any colour, or even animal print!
There are currently three options for shoulder straps. We also offer XL straps from £4.99 (no extra charge for wrap conversions, although it may not be possible depending on the length of the wrap provided).
- Padded Straps – A simple, unflared strap; double layered and padded at the shoulder, remaining the same width down the entire length of the strap. The padding adds an extra touch of comfort for the wearer, while the narrower straps are perfect for Lexi Twists and really quick front cross ties.
- Wrap Straps – Pleated where they join the panel, these straps flare to half the width of the wrap (approximately 13″ although this will vary from wrap to wrap). The extra width provides excellent under-bum support for the child, while the gathering cups the wearer’s shoulder well. Ideal for those who love the feel of wrapping, without the hassle of 5 metres of fabric.
- Infinity Straps – By far our most popular option, with over 90% of our customers choosing them for their wrap conversion, Infinity straps combine the comfort of the padded mei tai strap with the support of the flared wrap strap. Padded at the shoulder, they are a fixed width until they flare under the baby’s bottom to provide fantastic support, even for heavy toddlers. For more information on our Infinity straps, please see below.
- Please note, due to the nature of the fabric, wrap straps and Infinity straps can only be created from wrap fabric or cotton drill
A note on Infinity straps
If you prefer a little extra support, but don’t want to lose your padded shoulder, you can choose our unique Infinity™ straps. Evolved from a simple wrap strap, the Infinity™ strap combines the comfort and padding of a standard mei tai strap with the extra support of a flared wrap strap, and has fast become our most popular feature!
The name ‘Infinity’ was inspired by the unique folding of the fabric, which curves over itself, echoing the mathematical symbol. This not only provides extra comfort at the shoulders, it also produces a distinct look to the strap, unique to Monkey Mei Tai.
Please note, due to the nature of the fabric, we can only create Infinity™ straps for your standard carrier from cotton drill.
With a Monkey Mei Tai carrier, you have three different waist options: the standard (padded) waist, the unpadded Simplicity waist, and the (padded) half buckle waist.
The half buckle waist uses the same padding as our standard waist, only the fabric waist straps are replaced with top-quality webbing (no cheap slippy stuff here!) and a super-strong buckle.
* We reserve the right to add an internal layer if we deem it necessary. We will inform you of this before starting work on your carrier.
At Monkey Mei Tai we love adding the personal touch to your carrier with our signature bespoke artwork. We use a mixture of appliqué and free-motion embroidery techniques to make your vision come alive, and are happy to cater to almost any request.
We don’t use embroidery machines here; everything is hand-directed with love and care, and there’s nothing we like more than creating something truly unique! The price will depend on the size and complexity of your artwork – you can either give us an idea and a budget to work to; or you can give us detailed instructions and we can provide you with a quote. For more information and examples please see our ‘Artwork‘ page.
Perfect for protecting your baby against the sun, or light rain showers. We offer three standard hoods, with the option of custom hoods (pointy pixie hoods, ears, dinosaur spikes etc).
- Flat Hood – our simplest option. A curved, flat hood.
- Adjustable Flat Hood – the same shape as the flat hood, but with cinchable straps. This is the perfect compromise – a flat surface for artwork, and a curved shape that moulds to your baby’s head better than the simple hood.
- Riding Hood – a ‘sweatshirt’ style hood, à la Little Red Riding Hood. This hood provides the best coverage.
Little extras to add a little touch of luxury to your carrier:
Arm padding – Squishy-soft padding at the top of the carrier, for those who like to ride ‘arms out’ (older babies) or would like a little extra head support (young babies).
Leg padding – Squishy-soft padding to cushion your child’s legs.
Extra Hood Ties – located where the hood joins the body panel, these are great if you want to roll your hood up out of the way when not in use.
Carry bag – An ecru drawstring bag, stamped with our logo. Perfect for storage and easy transportation of your carrier.
Internal layer (wrap conversions) – For safety reasons, it is sometimes necessary to stabilise your wrap conversion with an internal layer, either of bull denim, or organic cotton wrap. We will discuss this with you before we begin work on your carrier.
Breast Pads – Providing there is enough leftover fabric, you can order matching washable breastpads
Cowl Scarf – Providing there is enough leftover fabric, we can create a matching cowl scarf for you
All Monkey Mei Tai carriers come in ‘Baby’ and ‘Toddler / Preschooler’ sizes.
- Baby size is suitable for children up to roughly 15kg in weight (typically around 15 months old) and measures approximately 16″ high by 17″ wide.
- Toddler / Preschooler size is slightly larger and is suitable for children of approximately 12kg – 30kg* (typically around 15 months upwards) and measures approximately 19″ high by 20″ wide.
- Custom sizes can be ordered on request, if you prefer something a little different to our standard sizes.
- Our standard shoulder straps are approximately 2.2m long. We can create an even longer strap; this can be arranged on request.
Not just for babies! Carry children up to 30kg in weight.
* Although our carriers are capable of carrying far heavier weights (see our Safety demo), we do not recommend that you carry a child weighing in excess of 30kg.